Stern Chiropractic founder, Dr. Gregg Stern, is a Diplomate in Chiropractic Pediatrics which includes Pediatric, Maternity and Family Wellness care. We want the best for our children and we strive to offer them everything we can to secure the happiest, healthiest life and the brightest future. One of the most wonderful gifts you can give your child is the “gift of health.” Even more important, is the gift of knowledge that helps them form healthy lifestyle habits that they take with them for the rest of their lives. Health can only be enhanced through a healthy lifestyle and a well functioning nerve system. At Stern Chiropractic, we are not only experts at helping your child’s body heal and move toward optimal health, we are also focused on helping your children learn healthy lifestyle habits so they enhance their health throughout their life
THE CONCEPT OF SUBLUXATION
- The Nerve System controls all your body functions.
- Interference in your Nerve System (Subluxation) can cause improper body function leading to conditions, such as nursing issues, failure to thrive, colic, ear infections, poor immunity, allergies, asthma, ADD/ADHD, digestive issues, developmental delays, autistic spectrum issues, anxiety, headaches, etc.
- Regular spinal check-ups to assess and remove spinal subluxations can promote the optimal health and well-being of your child’s body.
WHY DO CHILDREN NEED CHIROPRACTIC CARE?
Children are exposed to constant physical, chemical and mental/emotional stressors which can cause subluxation in their spines. Examples of such stressors include:
- the stress on a developing fetus when the pregnant mom is under stress of any kind
- a developing child in a breech presentation
- the transition for a newborn from 98.6°, dark, quite, soothing, floating environment of the mother’s womb to a cold, bright, loud delivery room where multiple procedures are performed
- the delivery process, even when uncomplicated
- complicated deliveries, such forceps, vacuum extractions and caesarian sections
- chemical stress of vaccines, drugs given to mom and baby formula
- falls and other accidents that commonly occur in young children
- Sports/Activities – building new muscle, sports injuries, pressure to win …
- School – new social interactions, heavy backpacks, excess exposure to germs, pressure to perform well, unhealthy school lunches and snacks
- Home – family stress, homework, TV, computers, busy schedules
- Special Needs Children – already challenged from birth or shortly after, these children tend to have moderate to severe amounts of subluxation. Chiropractic care allows these children to progress leaps and bounds in all their other therapies by allowing their nerve systems to properly integrate the input from the therapies. More importantly chiropractic care helps improve their quality of life.
It is very evident that, despite all we do to protect our children, they are exposed to constant physical, chemical and mental/emotional stressors, just as adults are. These stressors can wear kids down leading to injury, disease or poor self-esteem or it can help them grow stronger. By the time your child is experiencing symptoms of pain or illness, their nerve systems have already been compromised for a significant period of time. Uncorrected subluxations can lead to long-term health issues and concerns. Chiropractic care helps our children’s bodies and nerve systems utilize these stressors in a positive fashion enhancing their health and allowing them to grow stronger.
When do children need chiropractic care?
Even the most natural births are somewhat traumatic to the newborn and can cause “hidden damage”. Therefore, all babies should be checked soon after birth to eliminate any potential damaging effects from the birth process on their neck and spinal column. It has been documented in the literature that many children who suffer from colic, ear infections, allergies and asthma have subluxations which are impairing the function of their nervous system. Having a chiropractor with a pediatric specialty detect and correct subluxations in your newborn can prevent layers of damage from negatively impacting your child’s critical nervous system. Uncorrected accumulated damage causes lifelong consequences.
It is ideal for children to follow-up with regular check-ups after birth to maintain optimal health of their nerve system and body. A good rule of thumb to follow is to have your baby checked as they reach each developmental milestone during the first year. The frequency of subsequent care is determined according to each child’s needs.
Does it Hurt?
Absolutely not! As a Chiropractor who specializes in pediatric care, Dr. Stern uses very specific, gentle techniques to care for children. On the very young, the adjustment is as light as a finger touch. The amount of pressure is no more than you would feel comfortable pressing on your eyeball.