(Make sure to read all the way down to the bottom to see our Very Special Mother’s Day Offer & details on this months Healthy Lifestyles Educational Program on Meditation).
Many of us have an abundance of stress in our lives, especially if you are a mom. I certainly hope you had the opportunity to attend our program last month on Stress Management the Natural Way but if not click the following link to see last months newsletter on Stress Management.
One of the primary stress management tools we discussed last month was meditation and those who where at the program were taken through a short but very effective guided meditation to experience how easy & effective meditation really is.
Are you curious about what meditation is and if/how it may help you? Do you think meditation is some “out there” thing that is only for yogi’s sitting out on mountain tops? Are you afraid you do not have the time to meditate? Have you wanted to try meditation but were afraid it was too difficult or you did not know where to start?
If you have any curiosity about meditation, read on to see how very simple it is to incorporate meditation into you life and to reap all the wonderful benefits of reduced stress, improved health, improved relationships …
Meditation is one of the primary methods of getting out of your head and connecting to the energetic flow of the world around you. Our brain is always trying to be involved in everything we do, but as many of us have experienced, there are moments where we are “in the zone”, not thinking about anything but seemingly doing everything right. Meditation can help you experience these moments more often and for longer periods of time.
Definitions of Meditation include:
- Development of the mind leading to awareness, tranquility and wisdom.
- To contemplate or reflect in a state of relaxed focus.
- a state of relaxed concentration on the reality of the present moment.
- a state that is experienced when the mind dissolves and is free of all thoughts.
The Health Benefits of Meditation
- Re-balances hemispheres of brain & increases brain activity
- Calms & stabilizes nervous system
- Reduces stress (cortisol)
- Reduces muscle tension
- Reduces serum cholesterol
- Normalizes Blood Pressure
- Strengthens immune function
- Restores normal sleep cycle
- Reverses cardiovascular disease
- Provides energy
- Increases Happiness (Serotonin)
- Clears the mind and helps bring it to a more restful state
There are many types of meditation but don’t worry about that for now. The key is that meditation is much easier then you “think” and “thinking” is the main obstacle to overcome. Once you have started meditating, you can explore and research all the different types and choose what is most appealing to you or mix and match to create your own meditation style.
Simple tips to help you start your meditation practice:
- Set aside a block of time – 2 min, 10 min, 30 min, an hour…
- Start small and work your way up to a time that is good for you
- Don’t try to squeeze it in or you will feel rushed
- Create a space
- Comfortable – you can sit in a chair, on a pillow …
- Quite or with relaxing music (instrumentals – no lyrics)
- No distractions
- Lighting should be low
- Relaxing aromas are a nice touch
- Mentally Prepare – no pressure, no problem and no rush
- Get comfortable
- Turn your attention inward
- Choose something to focus on
- Breathing (Prana) – focus on rise & fall of abdomen
- Visualization – thoughts flowing out
- You may use a mudra – hand posture
- It is normal to feel restless, agitated or bored when you first begin to meditate
- Don’t Try to meditate just relax and set yourself free
Don’t wait. Call NOW and register for this month’s program on Demystifying Meditation!
Mother’s Day Special
50% OFF her Initial Visit
* Must be a mom or mom-to-be (pregnant). Appointment must be booked by 5/17/13 and must take place during the month of May.
Healthy Lifestyle Educational Series
Wellness – Mind, Body & Spirit
Dr. Stern will be offering monthly health and wellness programs to help you and your family Maximize your life Potential and Optimize Your Health. Please join us on the 2nd Monday of each month at 7:00 pm for LIFE CHANGING information that will help guide you and your family to greater levels of Love, Joy, Health and Happiness.
Advance Registration is Required!
This month’s program will be held on Monday May 13th at 7:00 pm at Whole Foods Market in Kildeer and the topic will be Demystifying Meditation (click this link to see full details).
View the Healthy Lifestyles Educational Series Schedule and make your reservation TODAY!
Dr. Stern is an expert on Healthy Lifestyles and Wellness for children and adults.
Call Stern Chiropractic TODAY and let us help guide you and your family toward a HEALTHIER and more JOYFUL LIFE!